Flooded birches

Dracunculus

Pioneer
Post Score
These are birches in a flooded area of Acadia Nat Park (USA) that only rarely floods. The color version is not really any different – not much green stuff in Acadia in March.
It was visually striking at the time but something is missing here. Too busy? No obvious focal point? Thanks
NZ7_4213 Flooded birches x1500.jpg

I don’t actually think there’s anything missing and I don’t think this photo needs a focal point. I think the graphic yet natural tangle is the subject, so no single element in the photo needs to dominate. No reason it shouldn’t be busy. A couple of things I notice that might be causing you to feel the way you do. The centered horizon line may be at odds with the energy (and kinesthesia) of the trees and their reflections. The similar tonalities of the trees above and below may also be adding to your feelings. If you did want more of a subject, there’s a natural one just to the left of center, a kind of oval-shaped hole created by branches and reflections. Also, some selective dodging and burning might emphasize the depth inherent in the scene which the photo may not yet be fully realizing. Regardless, I like looking at this.

A thought… It makes a strong triptych! Each third makes for a captivating image with its own character and as a triptych panel it makes me slow down and appreciate more.

I don’t actually think there’s anything missing and I don’t think this photo needs a focal point. I think the graphic yet natural tangle is the subject, so no single element in the photo needs to dominate. No reason it shouldn’t be busy. A couple of things I notice that might be causing you to feel the way you do. The centered horizon line may be at odds with the energy (and kinesthesia) of the trees and their reflections. The similar tonalities of the trees above and below may also be adding to your feelings. If you did want more of a subject, there’s a natural one just to the left of center, a kind of oval-shaped hole created by branches and reflections. Also, some selective dodging and burning might emphasize the depth inherent in the scene which the photo may not yet be fully realizing. Regardless, I like looking at this.
Interesting point about the horizontal line – I hadn't noticed the tension it produces.
I did lighten the trees around the oval "hole" ( a path when not flooded). I'll experiment more along those lines.
Thanks.

A thought… It makes a strong triptych! Each third makes for a captivating image with its own character and as a triptych panel it makes me slow down and appreciate more.
When I first read your suggestion, I thought, "Nah!" However, I like it when implemented. (Quickie version without precisely measuring thirds.)
Birches tryptich black.jpg
Birches tryptich white.jpg

👍, maybe consider playing a bit with perspective in each 1/3ish section (or just the center section?) to find the unique image in each. ie changing scale and crop to your liking. Nice photo! Enjoy and make it yours.

Your revision, in thirds, is much better. For me the initial photo is too wide and lacks the "punch" that might come from following Sam's suggestions. I do like the thirds in your revision, I would work to obtain more contrast.

Could be my monitor, but I'm having a hard time deleniating the line where the reflections start and what is above the water. This makes the image seem a little abstract, unless you wanted it to look this way. Also, the trees in the foreground do not look as sharp as the trees in the middle of the picture, which adds to the confusion. Overall, it's a very nice picture when it comes to the tones and composition, but a little bit more clarity would have helped...

QUICK NAV>Click Arrow to Expand

Latest Posts

Top Bottom