Some first day comments on my Z f

Quixdraw

Site Regular
Senior Staff
Pioneer
Post Score
Arrived late this afternoon, had a few things I still needed to do so I couldn't get to it right away other than to be sure it wasn't damaged in transit. Sat down with the camera and the manual as usual. This is the thinnest , simplest set of directions of any Digital Nikon I have owned, done on the first pass and doubt I'll need to consult it again. Setup was easy. The camera is smaller and lighter than my Df, and will partner well with it for travel. My best & oldest friend sent me a spare Z mount 40/2, a very good, compact lens, takes 52 mm accessories so I put a L1BC that I had handy on till I can get hold of (or find) a clear filter. I added an old metal HN 2 hood. I use a hood on every lens that hasn't got one built in. In use, almost too easy. Pictures, just a dozen or so snaps of various things, came out very well with no effort or thought at all. A neat, handy package. First glitch. I now have 4 different sizes of cords and this newest will not link to my computer as things are currently configured. I'm sure there is an answer, which I'll have to discover, because I upload all photos by wire and don't care to change. Another issue, the camera doesn't come with a battery charger (an accessory charger is available from Nikon). I have several, so no issue. The battery that came with the camera was not charged, I put it in a charger and grabbed an off brand out of the charged battery box, no go. Another charged one, Nikon, worked. I am not certain, but I believe the camera will only recognize Nikon batteries. I bought an FTZ II and have a broad selection of F Mount lenses to try from Ancient to Recent. I'll probably need to pop the card and put it into the card reader, but sample photos will follow soon.

Congrats on the new rig! I have fallen in love with the top mount retro setting knobs these new cameras from Nikon, Fuji, and Sony are offering. So much like a favorite old SLR, but with a viewfinder and metering system that can deliver amazement.

I went through the same battery chase some time ago with the EN/EL-15C. Nikon batteries are seriously overpriced, so third-party stuff is a solid answer. But not all are created equally. As specified, the OEM battery contains circuitry to control for overcharge, charging rate, and life reporting. After much expense discovering that some did not charge quickly in the Nikon charger base, or did not report properly in the camera, I settled on BM Premium a number of years ago for my Nikon, Lumix, and most recently, Fuji XT-5. These have a "decoded" chip inside that fully emulates the performance of OEM, works with all chargers (in the camera as well for my Fuji), and is half the price of OEM for two of them... :unsure:

They have lasted well for years now with my D7100, whereas OEM batteries bought about the same time have floundered. Here is a link:

Damn the silly cables. I have had to make several of my own... :ninja:

QUICK NAV>Click Arrow to Expand

Latest Posts

Top Bottom