Travelers

Papa Tango

I See Things...
Pioneer
Post Score
travelers-v2023.jpg

Title: The Travelers
Nikon D7100; Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

This image is another that I am taking a 'second look' at with the new workflow.

I had just acquired the 18-300mm lens and a Sigma flash. Nothing seemed to be working as expected, and the flash kept changing its curtain settings. Add to this that somewhere in the "curative" stage, I managed to trigger monochrome shooting mode... These subjects came upon me quickly. I quickly framed the shot and released the shutter. The flash did not and the shutter defaulted to 1/30th of a second. Not a good focus, either...

When sorting the images for that day, I nearly threw this one in the digital dustbin. And then I walked away for a bit. This is now the second iteration of it. The first was in portrait orientation, with more dramatic sky and contrast settings. Here is a different take, Grain is introduced to synergize the focus effects of the contrast.

👆🏻… It has what I (for myself) call a hipshot aesthetic. I like it! I feel the quickness of the moment & capture…. It draws me in and makes me feel present.

Thanks, Josh. Since that day I walked back in on it, and saw from a distance--I fundamentally knew that this was a more powerful image than had it been crystal clear, such as my "Happy People" subject:

I found it interesting that I had never thought about the 'immediacy' of the thing--just as something moving through time and crystallized in two dimensions. We are all travelers, you know? In one of those "where have I been" moments spent thinking about immediacy, it re-occurred to me again that this is the real point of the thing--right? It shows the ignorance of one who quotes Cartier-Bresson and is disconnected from realizing that sort of thing is being applied... :sleep:

Even in one of those wistful "Kodak Moments", that moment will never be again. Remember Seals & Croft's "We will never pass this way again?" T'was my HS graduation song. As in a conversation about the aging of photo content and meaning elsewhere(on PN), these things now have different and deeper meanings. :unsure:

My goal was to create an image that conveyed motion and the passage of time. That it evokes the physicality of the moment it was created is even better...

QUICK NAV>Click Arrow to Expand

Latest Posts

Top Bottom