Archived Navigating FotoFora

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trailblazer

Key Grip
Senior Staff
Support
Post Score
As it now stands, the top menu arrangement is a problem. One has to click on too many things to get overviews of what's going on in the forums--and in the galleries and albums.

I have a few ideas on how to improve things a bit, but I need to hear your thoughts and suggestions to approach this first. Who wants to start the discussion? 😎

Well, I see that no one has rushed to the gate... :unsure: This is your community, take this opportunity to shape it your way!

Today was spent coding a new feature that should make this place easier to navigate. Although this does not form a final solution to the menu and navigation issues, it is the first step to getting things in one place.

Note that there is a new "All FotoFora Images" tab in the main menu bar. It has no niceties or adornments yet, as it will be integrated into our final menu solution.

By clicking there, you will be able to see every image that has been posted to FotoFora, whether it is In the Forums, Galleries, or Albums. 🧙‍♂️

This provided a unified view of every image sent for community consideration.

Clicking on a Gallery or Album image will of course take you directly to that posting. But, as shown in the screenshot below, one can easily return to the original post in the forum groups to comment on that image--or post a new image! Also, one can use the bottom filmstrip to move forward or backward in the image queue.

mirror link to forums.png

Members are encouraged to think about this. If you simply intend to view this image and have no interest in the original thread--then by all means give a reaction rating for the image.

If however, you choose to click on the original link and join the conversation in that group--please leave your reactions and comments there before posting a new image.

Please, let me know your thoughts on this new addition. And for certain, tell me what can be improved! 😎

Why does this forum open half way down the page ? missing the vote section.

Did you click on the thread itself in the forum, or did you choose one of the "latest posts' options?

If you click on the thread title itself in the forums, it will open to the first, and oldest post.

If you click on a recent post notice in a thread, it will open to the post that the announcement concerns--not the first post.

A question for everyone. Right now, the forum post display order is set to show the oldest posts first, going down to the bottom with newer ones. This has always aggravated me a bit, as one has to scroll to the bottom to see the newer things.

I can reverse this order in the boards so that the newest posts appear at the top of the thread, and the older as one scrolls down. What do you think?

The image consolidation feature has now been added to the |Images| tab on your profile page.

profile images tab.png

When you click on that tab in your profile, pages will be generated that contain EVERY image you have uploaded to the Galleries & Forums. The same thing happens when you visit another member's profile. Very convenient, yes? 🧙‍♂️

The adjacent |Albums| tab shows all of a particular member's albums and images there.

In line with this, the search function has been improved, and allows more granular searches of images and posts, according to categories. Simply click on "Filter" and set your criteria. Keyword searches are available also in the main search console.

filter images.png

Did you click on the thread itself in the forum, or did you choose one of the "latest posts' options?

If you click on the thread title itself in the forums, it will open to the first, and oldest post.

If you click on a recent post notice in a thread, it will open to the post that the announcement concerns--not the first post.

A question for everyone. Right now, the forum post display order is set to show the oldest posts first, going down to the bottom with newer ones. This has always aggravated me a bit, as one has to scroll to the bottom to see the newer things.

I can reverse this order in the boards so that the newest posts appear at the top of the thread, and the older as one scrolls down. What do you think?
OK thanks, clicking on thread title opens on the first post. Sorry for the confusion must be my age...Great photography website !!

OK, today saw a fairly major reorganization of the tabs in the menu bar, and the sub-links below them.

What do you think? Suggestions?

Hey just looking around the site, visiting for maybe the 2nd time. Tried to drag n drop some phptotos in, my attempts were rejected. Is the only way to add photos via "downloads" or something in the computer menu? Can we addd images via URL out of a host site (Zenfolio, in my case)?
But no drag n drop?

Hey just looking around the site, visiting for maybe the 2nd time. Tried to drag n drop some phptotos in, my attempts were rejected. Is the only way to add photos via "downloads" or something in the computer menu? Can we addd images via URL out of a host site (Zenfolio, in my case)?
But no drag n drop?
It all depends on where you want to 'drag and drop.'

Most forum software does not have a native gallery/album feature. This is accomplished via an addon application.

In FotoFora (which is Xenforo software), all of the Forum boards and threads support both 'drag and drop' as well as manual file manager uploading and link embedding.

The galleries and albums are not so versatile, as one must use the manual file manager "Upload Image" function. This dichotomy has been a matter of contention in the Xenforo developer community since 2015. Here is a thread on the matter that I posted to back in March of this year:

Sorry about the inconvenience, and I really am hoping that this changes in v2.3 of Xenforo or the next version of the Gallery/Albums module.

Both the Galleries and the Forums support image link embedding. :)

A member messaged me and asked if the Xenforo platform was the best choice for photography sites. The truth is that NO FORUM SOFTWARE was designed for heavy image display--but of all of the choices out there, Xenforo and vBulletin are the highest rated for this use.

It is useful to know that other photo sites use Xenforo, or have used it. Photrio.com is one of them, and from 2016-2022 Photo.net was based upon it. Many of the features that members enjoyed at PN before the infamous "Black October" migration last year are now back and available here! :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.

QUICK NAV>Click Arrow to Expand

Latest Posts

Top Bottom