How will you increase membership?

Jay Masimo

Pioneer
Post Score
The website operates well, possibly better than Photo net, from which it was largely inspired, a sure sign of dedication and hard work. Nevertheless, I am disappointed by the limited membership count.

At the time when Patrick started this venture PhotoNet looked on it's last legs.
PhotoNet is still around, but how long till the next crisis?. We need to support Fotofora because there's room for both and who knows what the future may bring.

Upvote 0
At the time when Patrick started this venture PhotoNet looked on it's last legs.
PhotoNet is still around, but how long till the next crisis?. We need to support Fotofora because there's room for both and who knows what the

First, in my opinion Patrick pulled off a minor miracle to create and stand-up FotoFora. Furthermore, Patrick appears to be engaged with the members soliciting input and making changes where they make sense. This is the kind of leadership that Photo.net has lacked for a very long time; FIVERR only made matters worse.

We also need to be honest. There has been a noticeable decline in participation at FotoFora, especially over the last couple of months. Turning that around will require some marketing to reach out beyond disaffected Photo.net users.

Here are a few of my ideas regarding marketing FotoFora.

Where?
  • Target colleges with photography programs
  • Target companies large and small
  • Target villages, cities, counties
  • Target photography clubs
  • Target your community
  • Target spring and summer programs hosted at public or quasi-public venues
  • Target agricultural and/or manufacturing
  • Target transportation

How?
  • Identify their activities
  • Identify their community of interest
  • Identify their community value
  • Identify their community weaknesses
  • Identify their desire for recognition
  • Identify opportunities for sponsorship (colleges? businesses?)

When?
  • Identify whether the entity has an activity cycle based upon seasons or other criteria
  • Identify possible competitors
  • Identify possible benefits. Each of these entities can benefit in some manner.

Why?
  • Free publicity and promotion in some manner.

For example, targeting young photographers and their instructors at colleges taking photography courses. These young photographers are likely to have a desire to share their work and learn from other photographers. Use FotoFora’s forum thread “Critique my image”. Collaborate with the college, professors, and students.

Perhaps FotoFora could establish the long sought after online “contests” such as photo of the week/month. This need not require that the winner receives an award other than the recognition that their work has merit.

Consider dedicated forums, albums, or other presentation alternative to further enhance the benefits to entities. For example, Patrick lives near to the Corning Glass works in Corning, New York. I toured CGW’s glass museum and factory many years ago and believe that this could be an excellent start. Could we establish a forum or album for Corning / glass works / glass art? How about other museums and/or historical sites which might want free publicity from 1 or more photo shoots along with promotional articles on FotoFora.

Possible example: I (we) recently visited %location%, and were greeted by Joe Smith, curator, who guided us around the museum. Joe provided background…. Blah, blah, blah… Here are X shots showing the highlights of our visit. Blah, blah, blah... Come join us at the %location% for some great fun and photo opportunities.”

Expand Featured photos to include new member’s work examples. Invite new members to submit portfolios or articles about their work.

These are just a few ideas that are getting free rent in my brain.

Activities can be outlined and presented in a forum thread by FotoFora leadership and/or members. Ideas can be refined and pursued as agreement is reached on scope.

Other ideas?

Now. Can we develop and action plan together rather than leaving it all to Patrick?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good intentions no doubt, but to target villages, cities, countries - companies large and small - agricultural and/or manufacturing - transportation etc., all sounds amazing, but is it realistic though?
and to identify community values, interests, weaknesses, seasonal activities etc., furthermore does seem a little beyond the scope of what is feasible.
If one can afford an add on Facebook, Instagram, Tik-Tok, ex-Twitter or whatever, that may help, but focus and precision are what is required.

Upvote 0
Good intentions no doubt, but to target villages, cities, countries - companies large and small - agricultural and/or manufacturing - transportation etc., all sounds amazing, but is it realistic though?
and to identify community values, interests, weaknesses, seasonal activities etc., furthermore does seem a little beyond the scope of what is feasible.
If one can afford an add on Facebook, Instagram, Tik-Tok, ex-Twitter or whatever, that may help, but focus and precision are what is required.
Hi Jay.

Thank you very much for your response.

First, I like your idea of exploring social media and think that it is well worth polishing so that the result has a punch. I don’t currently use social media but am willing to go down that path with you and others to develop a strategy and move it forward.

Second, the ideas I presented are essentially “spit-balling” in nature and not meant to suggest that we do all those things. We can pick the low hanging fruit and polish the strategy like we can with your idea of using social media.

Do you, or others, have thoughts about where we might try to promote FF after – or consecutively – with social media?

All feedback is welcome!

Upvote 0
I have created a new email address along with a new Facebook account to be used in the event that Patrick Thrush and others wish to explore this option to promote FotoFora.

Upvote 0
It would be nice if the administrators could let us know if they have any strategy planned to increase membership.
Would a membership fee be of any use, to be used in buying advertising space in social media for example.

Upvote 0
Caffertey / Mickeyess, we appear to be conversing in a void .. even the offer of financial help does not appear to interest them

Upvote 0
I find it unfortunate that FF admin has not responded. I am keeping my account open for now hoping that we see some action(s) revealed to bolster the site's membership and contributions.

Upvote 0
I do not want my name associated with a movement to undermine the governance of FotoFora. Papa Tango has my full support, GC

Upvote 0
Gerald,
Papa Tango, as I have said in this thread, has done an excellent job of developing and launching FF.
I have made private and public comments intended to foster suggestions and help for Patrick to increase membership and contributions. I remain ready to help; however, this is Patrick's work. We therefore require his feedback, participation, guidance, approval in order to plan and execute a coordinated effort to achieve the results that we would all like to see. I, nor any other member, can unilaterally make this work.
I've made several suggestions in this thread.
Let's get started.
Now, where is the feedback?

Upvote 0
I do not want my name associated with a movement to undermine the governance of FotoFora.
No one suggested any such thing. The stated intent was to assist and contribute (financially) in developing membership, That said, administration does not seem to be interested in discussing the matter with its members.

Upvote 0
I need to stop looking at pictures and pay more attention to the discussion boards as I totally missed this thread! :unsure:

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments. Forum boards were never meant to serve as gallery and image discussion sites--there are much better solutions for that in WordPress and other CMS platforms. But sadly, the forum side of those generally sucks on a busy site. Compromises are always in order and site publishers are most often at the mercy of third-party developers to extend what they do. And heaven help you if one of them decides to drop that add-on and do something else with their life.

I have been building websites for nearly 30 years now--beginning with static text-based HTML 1.0 pages (often filled with flashing, moving, and otherwise maddening GIF-animated images). Ahh, the good old days! :love: Nothing except one's ISP server ever broke, there was no spam, and badguys were not trying to crash your site by brute force thousands of times a day. Keeping a community going requires knowledge, planning, time, money, and most of all--community interest in participation.

When I took over admin at PN in January of last year, it was obvious pretty quickly that no one would invest much of anything in the platform. Nothing has changed in the past year, except for my resigning as admin and building this community.

Mickey and I have been having an ongoing conversation about marketing the site. Here is something important to know:

I am outstanding at the various professional things I do. I am also an astoundingly lousy businessman... 🤡

That said, I am glad that we are finally having this discussion. Many good ideas are on the table and there are directions to go. But for the next month or so, NO ONE CAN REGISTER!

Remember my little proviso about third-party developers? Well, that has happened to the site's registration/subscription software addon. Due to updates in the forum software, addons, and PHP on the server--it died. ☠️

This is actually a good thing and I am taking advantage of the doldrums to provide something even better. Oh, there are a couple other thingies that suffered a similar fate and are being addressed as well. Those are nothing that you likely have not even noticed are missing.

To solve the issue around 16 of us (other Xenforo site publishers) have contracted XF addon developers Ozzy47 and Painbaker to write us a new subscription addon from scratch. Woo Hoo!

In the meantime for fun, I have turned on the Chat function. The Classifieds are on now too as I am doing some work there as well. That's something that needs an active membership to work. Here is an example of it in action over on Photrio. Sean Ross and I use the same Xenforo platform for our respective sites.

BTW, FotoFora has always offered paid subscriptions--until the addon died several months back. Much more to discuss about these things, but for right now I have to run. My parole officer is at the door and I really need to answer it... :cool:

Upvote 0

QUICK NAV>Click Arrow to Expand

Latest Posts

Top Bottom