Manfrotto 3029 head maintenance

Papa Tango

I See Things...
Publisher
Post Score
I have an old Manfrotto 3029 tripod head that is in serious need of cleaning. Any suggestions as to the best grease for a smooth resistance on movement would be?

I use lithium grease for my Manfrotto 3 way pan head.
Some of my friends / colleagues stipulate using silicon grease and some even stipulate silicon grease 100~200 cst.
The reason I use lithium grease is because I work and live by the sea: the lithium grease I use is "Winch Grease" i.e. used for sailing boat winches. Whatever you choose, do not use much. Less is more.

WW

It appears that this was what originally was in the axis races. Avoiding an increasingly annoyed group of cows, the head was dunked into a muddy pasture. There is a precautionary tale here about view cameras and cow lots, but another time.

That was 18 years ago. I flushed it a bit with naphtha and tossed it into a box. Now I have a task for it. After taking it down, I replaced with white lithium grease (Permatex). Oh boy, it was as clunky as when it came out of the box from B&H. That has been cleaned out, and a bit of molybdenium grease placed in. Works, but I know there's better.

After Neewer hit the scene pretty hard with 'improved' gear to begin rivaling the old Spirotone wonders, I bought a video rail kit that included a focus follower. The friction grease in there had the perfect feel, but it was the crappy kind that creeps back. After contacting them, they sent me a small tube of replacement goo. Hooray, no creep.

They don't sell it and have not responded with an inquiry to send me some. I would really like to know what grade and make this stuff is!

QUICK NAV>Click Arrow to Expand

Latest Posts

Top Bottom