New Posting Group Suggestions

Trailblazer

Key Grip
Pioneer
Support
Post Score
We presently have five regular posting groups, modeled after some of the more popular ones on PhotoNet. They are:
  • Words/No Words Group
  • Critique My Image
  • Monochrome Monday Group
  • Wide Angle Wednesday Group
  • Post-Process Challenge Group
I would like to add three more in the very near future, and want your suggestions for these new groups!

I think to keep within (what I believe are) the foundations of fotofora, it would be wise to avoid groups based on tools.
That is to say let's not have the Canon weekly and the Nikon weekly, etc.

On that note - I kind of like "Wide Angle Wednesday", it's not manufacture restrictive, however I wouldn't cry if it went away.

I am inclined toward broadly defined with not many restrictions. I think two base concepts here are to share, and to grow; for example I personally wouldn't get my knickers in twist if there were a group 'wildlife' and there appeared a man-made element in the shot. Simple 'rules' are the best rules, I think.

My two suggestions for the expansion of Groups are:

> "Our Physical World" Group - that means loosely any 'landscape form' including seascape, cityscape, skyscape, architecture, cave-drawings . . .

> "People in our World" Group - that comprises and 'people shot' - street, posed portraiture, candid portraiture, sport . . .

(Obviously), many photos would overlap those two groups, however the main subject would dictate into what group an image was placed: I think a key element in the communication of an image's meaning, is, that what is the main subject, is essentially, obvious.
WW

"Our Physical World" -
large_PP2.jpg.5998bad4a509ddede6f5016f11b82a35.jpg

North Cronulla Beach - Winter, Fuji X100s, Hoya R72
©AlexJordanGroupWMW

Thanks Dr. W for that great read! I am adding these two to a list of potential candidates.

I fully agree that the specific brand image groups are a bit problematic. I saw this for years as an issue on PN--many people simply do not know what is buried and nested somewhere--or what a limited view and group surrounds such. It works for those it works for... :sneaky:

In following your thoughts, I have tried to keep the sticky intro rules for each board simple as possible. This is one reason that W/NW groups are a single entity. All things within reason, yes?

Who's next to suggest something??? :unsure:

Conceptual…. going beyond the thing photographed ie objects, people and places. PN has abstracts which sometimes overlaps but not often. Perhaps it would offer an outlet for photographers that would be refreshing and even challenging.? It covers a surprising amount territory outside of object driven photography.

OK, what sort of short definition would we give to a "Conceptual" group--and would that also serve well as the title of the group?

Conceptual…. going beyond the thing photographed ie objects, people and places.
Would such a forum require and/or benefit from the contributors providing and Artist's Statement, or at the least, a Brief of the Concept?

WW

Simply put it Illustrates a concept or idea. As for an introduction I bow to better writers.

It is not about documenting a scene or object in front of the camera. It is taking a concept from within the photographers mind and giving it life.
There are many simple definitions and explanations to be found on the web.

Would such a forum require and/or benefit from the contributors providing and Artist's Statement, or at the least, a Brief of the Concept?

I think it would for many.
Also. When titled it often suggests the intent but I would hesitate to require that it has to be explained. Many like to leave it open ended. But one could ask if it is not a nw forum.

WW

THAT right there is one of the key concepts I had when creating FotoFora!

There are lots of sites that let us post images. A sticking point for me is that in many, no one bothers to reveal how or why they created an image. Obviously, if it is a fairly straightforward street shot or somesuch, most of the explanation is built into the image. Learning the location and tech specs is always welcome, but often lacking.

FF was never envisioned as somewhere to dump a ginormous number of your favorite photos a week and see where that leads. We already know how that works out... Rather, a normal flow of "dueling images" in things like "W/NW" or the other groups was seen to serve as a "show me yours and I will show you mine" exchange. Even then, some discussion is warranted for certain images by their exceptional or unusual merit.

The first two suggestions for groups have been implemented! I am very interested in the concept that InOneEye has discussed--it seems to me that this speaks to the "recontextualization" of the subject matter. Can we see an example or two somewhere of what you are thinking?

One of my obsessions is to find a "thing" somewhere in the fabric of the world, and "re-imagine" it. My collection 'A Glass Menagerie' is one such endeavor.

The concept uses objects made from glass, and changes them in a way that steers the original intent or presentation to what I have imagined. Below is one such image. It is actually a ceramic plate that has a small light focused on it:

multiverse.jpg

Is this a branch of the kind of thing we are discussing for the creative group? There are 6 different treatments of this in the series--and they are what I imagined when I saw the object. Granted, this started with an object and not a thought--that came from my reaction to the thing.

Or is the group containing 'concocted' imagery that never existed?

Or is the group containing 'concocted' imagery that never existed?
to my way of thinking it is not an either or... may be it existed, may be not. or it might have a mix. The concept is paramount, the focus.

Here is one definition scraped from the web 🤡
“the bucket in which certain “art” falls into when no one can make sense of it.” :rolleyes:

simple examples
there are many other ways to approach concept photography…. using photographs as objects themselves, manipulating in post to express a concept as the subject, montages, adding graphics or text, ai creations, etc. all to illustrate an idea or concept that reach beyond an object.

Last edited:

QUICK NAV>Click Arrow to Expand

Latest Posts

Top Bottom