Recommend a printer please

VíctorM

Site Regular
Pioneer
Post Score
Greetings,
Would appreciate any and all input in a choice for a printer. Narrowed down to : A3 paper, tank ink vs cartridge. Will print mainly BW.
I am looking for quality vs speed, simple and effective.
Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Two questions--what is the largest practical size you wish to print (i.e., 13x19, or larger), and whether 3rd party refills are important.

Here are a couple of links that discuss the top photo printers out there right now:

I am still using the venerable Canon Pro-10, due to the availability of high-quality tank refill ink and parts such as new heads.

Thank you for the information PT. The Epson EcoTank Photo ET-8550 got my attention (13x19, tank and inks) unfortunately it is not available here. The search continues.

Have you considered the Canon Pixma iX6820 and the Canon Wireless IP8720 ? Both of these printers cost less than $300, but don't let that fool you because the print quality is outstanding according to the reviews. I don't own any of those printers, but I did use to own an Epdon R2400 years ago. That printer gave me so many headaches that I wrote-off Epson printers all together and to this day I think I'm still trumatized. Of course Epson fans will tell you the different, but it didn't work out for me. I have since switched to a Dye-sub printer which I'm pretty happy with except for the fact that the maximum size is 6'X8". The thing I like about these 2 Canon printers is that the cost for a full set of Inks is only $63 as compared to $105 for their Pro level printers. Also an individual cartridge I think is less than $15. For a guy on a budget, I think I can swing that since I dont do a lot of printing at home.

Both of these printers can print up to 13X19 so you are not stuck printing boring 8X10's. The older iX6820 uses 5 inks and the newer IP8720 uses 6 inks, which I heard gives you realistic looking B&W prints without the tint. My Epson could not do that ! The only thing I don't like about the IP8270 is that its's wireless and Canon does not have the installation part together yet. I read a good number of complaints about trying to connect this printer to the internet. The older iX6820 comes with USB, Ethernet, Cloud and Wireless. Canon does offer a USB adapter for the IP8720, but the printer itself does not have a USB port. Canon is always shooting themselves in the foot like that. Something to think about.

hjoseph, thank you for your input. The 6820 was on my list, the 8720 sounds like a headache with wireless... my search was narrowed down to those I could ship here. I will let you know how the 6820 does.
Thank you all

QUICK NAV>Click Arrow to Expand

Latest Posts

Top Bottom