The Vivian Maier Effect

Papa Tango

I See Things...
Pioneer
Post Score
Are you a photographer? What does it mean to be recognized as a photographer?

I remember a time when the term was applied to select groups of 'professionals.' These included those that had brick & mortar portrait studios, worked for newspapers, covered weddings, or were in advertising, architecture, or printed media. Those of us that were hobbyists were clumsily termed "shutterbugs."

Some time ago, I began to recognize that calling oneself a photographer without the acknowledgment and validation of the greater public, local cultural mavens and other 'photographers' was perceived as being pompous and pretentious. It was not about the cost of one's gear or technical acumen--but rather whether others accepted and valued your work.

Being tied for a time to academia and kinds of archival work, I have seen instances when at the death of someone a collection of their works was donated to a university department archive or a local library. If the person was a recognized and card-carrying member of the right kind of society--people fell all over themselves documenting, archiving, and setting up public expositions of that collection.

In others, I saw a lifetime of creation unceremoniously tossed in dumpsters, picked through by interested parties, or donated to thrift outlets. In a case or two, it was long after the fact that it was recognized that a terrible mistake was made. Unseen, unknown, unworthy?

I think of a dear friend, now deceased, that carried his Olympus everywhere. He was always taking photographs, and because he did specialized work for an educational institute--I knew that he was technically excellent at that sort of work. But of his stuff out in the world? I only saw three of them that he had shot years before in Vietnam as a young soldier. I suspect that all of his worldly things were dumped as the estate post his death was quickly settled... 😧

Most of us know the case of Vivien Maier. At least she was "discovered." Does our ephemeral activity online actually make us photographers, or is there really any such thing? I am seeing the new term "Creators." Hmmm.

I just saw this opinion piece, and it has me thinking. What do you think--are we photographers and/or creators without the formal hoopla of cliques and social media? Or just itinerant shutterbugs headed for the spotty world of ephemera?

If I was 2 or 3 years older and knew what I knew now I would go back in time, grow my hair, purchase a Nikon F with a fast 50 loaded with Tri-X and document the original Woodstock in all its glory ( or lack of). I don’t think Vivian was any better photographer than some of us. I do think the vintage look of her era along with some promotional talent helped get Vivian on the charts.

I simply wish that I had not lost EVERYTHING I ever photographed, from the late-60s to 1990 in a house fire... 🔥

Maier had two powerful things going for her. Apparently, photography was deeply personal on many levels. And as important, she was focused and structured in her approach. As I work through and catalog my stuff of the last 30 years, I am indeed wondering what will become of all of it.

We have discussed here and elsewhere the power that often grows on an image as time passes. I noted this in a recent post by @NikoCarol here:

Let's think about this in the context of 30 years from now... :unsure:

QUICK NAV>Click Arrow to Expand

Latest Posts

Top Bottom